You guys, Fall is literally around the corner and it begins the day after my birthday! I’m not thrilled about celebrating my birthday, but I am anxious for some cooler weather. If you’re a Floridian like myself, it’s hard to tell when our eternal summer is going to end. In other states there are tell tale signs that autumn is approaching, but here it feels like each day is just as hot as the next, am I right?
Those of you not living in the Sunshine State, here’s a comfort food that your family is sure to love as the temperature drops. My second oldest, Lexy, and foodie in her own right, says it almost tastes like the kind of soup you get from Panera Bread. She packed it up for lunch the following day and a classmate of hers thought it came for Panera. I’ll take the “almost” as a win.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 8 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 Cups water
- 1 ½ Teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 Large chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 Teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ Teaspoon paprika
- 2 Heads broccoli florets cut in small pieces
- 2 Large carrots grated
- 2 Cups half and half
- 2 Cups milk
- 8 Ounces cheese
- In an 8 quart Dutch Oven pot, melt butter and saute onions until translucent.
- Stir in flour. Pour in water and mix in bouillon cubes until dissolved.
- Mix in the garlic powder, salt and paprika and put in broccoli florets and carrots. Place on medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Pour in half and half, milk and grated cheese.
- Ready to serve.