This week I decided to use ingredients that were readily available in my pantry and freezer. What better soup to make than the Chicken Tortilla Soup! Most soup bases require either chicken or beef stock, so when I’m out of chicken stock, I usually have chicken bouillon cubes at the ready. They also pack in a lot more flavor. 90% of the time I have a package of chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts on standby. I love how quickly you can make dinner with one package of chicken. Another thing I usually keep in my pantry is a big can of diced tomatoes. I have listened to my mother’s suggestion on this item. She has always said to buy canned tomatoes so you don’t have to worry about the rotting factor. I have thrown out a lot of tomatoes because I get to them too late. The only time I buy fresh tomatoes is when I’m making ceviche, a recipe I’ll share another time. I don’t know why, but we usually have tortilla chips in our pantry. We don’t eat them on a regular basis, but they are great to have when you want to add a little bit of crunch in a Mexican dish. For this particular recipe, I used a cup of crushed Doritos and then garnished it with cantina-style chips. They gave it the perfect crunch factor.
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a great one-pot meal and I’m all about those kinds of dinners. I use more pots and pans making spaghetti! Truth be told, I didn’t want to go to the grocery store, just to get ingredients for one recipe. You can spruce this soup up with fresh cilantro and avocadoes, but again I usually shy away from both of those ingredients unless I’m making ceviche.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 Teaspoons garlic minced
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 Tablespoons cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 Cups water
- 4 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 Cup crushed tortilla chips
- 8 ounces shredded cheese
- In large stockpot heat olive oil and saute onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add-in chicken breasts, seasonings and carrots while on medium heat. Bring to a boil
- Reduce heat back to medium and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Pull out chicken breasts and cut into cubes. Return chicken to soup, add tortilla chips and cheese.
- Top indnividual bowlswith additional chips, cheese and sour cream.